Dizcover Blog

Dizcover Blog
Click on the image

Wednesday 21 January 2009

My Camera Treasure

I have a love for all things vintage, and just recently I bought an Olympus Pen EES-2 from a thrift store for a really cheap price. At the time I wasn’t very familiar with what type of camera the Olympus Pen was; all I knew was that it looked old, it felt old (the whole thing was made out of metal) and it was only selling for a couple of dollars.

The camera didn’t come with a manual but the lady at the thrift store said it should still work. A quick search on the Internet showed me a scanned manual of the Olympus Pen EES-2, with clear instructions on how to load film. I was just about to do that until I realized that the film winder of my new old camera was broken! It looks like I wouldn’t be able to take pictures with my Olympus Pen; I mean, it’s such an old camera. Who in the world could possibly repair this? And where can I find them? I’m pretty sure they don’t set up shop at malls!

I decided to try my luck on the Internet and see if I could find someone who might know a film camera repairman. And sure enough, I found a yellow page listing of this guy who collects and repairs vintage cameras as a profession and hobby. He lives not too far away from my city and he was able to repair my camera! Now my Olympus Pen works as good as new.

No comments: