Dizcover Blog

Dizcover Blog
Click on the image

Monday 1 December 2008

Freelance Writing

I have been a freelance writer for 30+ years of and on. I have a great imagination and know how to do the research. I recently accepted an assignment in a different state than I live in. It was only a 7 hour drive away from home, so it wasn’t bad. I spent three two days driving and one full day doing the research for three articles. One was a restaurant review, one was about the antique shops in town and one was about the churches. Not hard to do, but I did need to do lots of research online.

A computer can be so awesome in the right hands. I have a desktop, my hubby has an old laptop, and I’m getting ready to get a new laptop. Since I will be traveling to Tennessee to do more restaurant reviews and articles for the magazine up there, I really need to have a laptop at my fingertips. On the last trip up, I used my hubby’s laptop and hated it. The M key sticks, think about how many time in one sentence you will need to hit the M key. There were four in the last sentence I typed.

You have to have a computer to buy things online, send emails, IM with friends and do your research if you are a freelance writer. I would say that one-half to two-thirds of my work for the Tennessee Magazine was done online. The rest was done in person, asking questions, taking lots of notes and tasting some wonderful food. These three articles will be published in the middle of December, being released to every resident in Midtown Memphis, Tennessee.

No comments: